Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Matrix Resurrection and Holy Innocents

Today is the Feast of the Holy Innocents, when we remember the first youngest martyrs as well as all the most vulnerable whose lives are taken too soon. It is a very fraught day for me. All month I've been thinking of Tony and Nat, but today I've been trying not to. Of course I failed but I did try. 

We did have a nice family outing to the Huntington though. 

The other day I watched the new Matrix movie. What a nostalgia trip. I felt like an 18 yo again. It brought back to mind a question oft asked to us by Fr. Mark at that time: what is real? I haven’t really thought of that too much lately because everything in my life nowadays has felt perhaps too real. But it is a good reminder. 

As 2021 comes to a close there is much to reflect on. What a year it has been. Omicron is spreading like crazy, and this covid pandemic feels endless. Plus cancer and kiddos and our own little Eucharistic revival as jfj prepares for First Communion... the stress and strains of daily life and work. Growing pains and kids losing innocence faster than I'd like. Aging parents and in-laws. There's a lot going on.

There is also a lot to be grateful for though. I'm trying to remind myself of all the positive and good. It's easy to spot the problems and challenges and the "not enoughs." But there's a lot more than that. Just need to focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment