Saturday, March 29, 2014

Wisdom for Early Ahjummahdom 1: Be A Good Steward

Money money money money... MONEY!


I try not to be obsessed about money, but I'm not going to lie... I worry about financial stability often. The fact of the matter is that money comes and goes. I can only do my best with what I've got (the theme here? haha). Being the oldest child of "failed immigrant" parents, as I like to (now) affectionately describe it, I don't have a whole lot. But I'm grateful because I definitely have what I need and more, if I'm honest with myself and not too greedy.

Stewardship... the notion appears in the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures all over the place, from God's injunction to Man in Genesis to Jesus' parable about the dishonest steward in the gospels. While saving for retirement sounds like a self-serving practice that has nothing to do with spirituality or God, saving and spending prudently and paying off debts and all such responsible handling of finances fall under good stewardship imho. How one handles finances reflects one's values and even attitudes toward God, community, and others. How much we spend on what demonstrates what is most valuable to us, and our debt-paying and generosity with money inevitably impacts our relationships with others. Yes, I opine that personal finances is never just a personal thing because it ultimately affects the collective. Therefore personal finances bleeds into communal economics (so leave some of your harvest for the widows and the orphans aiite?) and one's spiritual life.

Stewardship, according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary 11th Edition, is "the conducting, supervising or managing of something; esp. the careful and responsible management of something entrusted into one's care." I submit that finances are something entrusted into one's care. Many people will disagree with me on this, and in fact, most of us do not live with this attitude towards money (I often find myself falling into this even). Is it "MY money" or "money given to me to use for my and my family's well-being"? Especially after a long and wretched day on the job, I like to think of my earnings as "my money" to be honest. But no, I am merely the manager.

If it's not my money, then I should a) be grateful for having it in the first place, and b) use it wisely and for its intended purpose. Here, I submit that the intended purpose of personal financial resources is the health, well-being, and enjoyment of myself, my family, and the community. Really, isn't all purpose for the fullness of our BEING?

Saving for retirement now, then, becomes about setting aside some of one's resources to live one's fullness of being as much as possible when one is old and unable to earn as one is able now. One might naively think, "Well, I should just trust God will provide for me later as God provides for me now." Yes, God provides and will provide too... but what if God is providing for your later NOW? It's like that story about the stranded man who refuses help during a flood.
A man is stuck at his home during a flood. A neighbor comes by to take him to higher ground, but the man refuses the neighbor's help, saying God will come save him. The waters are rising so the man goes up to his roof. A rescue boat comes along to take him to safety, but he tells them to go along, for God will save him. Then his house becomes completely submerged. The man is stranded on a broken piece of debris. A helicopter flies overhead and throws him a line, his last chance of rescue. But the man refuses, insisting that God will save him. Finally, the man drowns in the flood. When he faces God, he asks why God didn't come to save him. God says, "I sent your neighbor, a rescue boat, and even a helicopter, but you refused to be saved!"
I am reminded of the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30, Luke 19:12-27). I often interpret this parable to mean non-monetary things with which God entrusts us, but why not take it a little literally and apply it to money? I'm not saying God will give you a return on all your investments. But we ought to be faithful even in our financial matters and be responsible, not lazy.

So save wisely for retirement, spend only on what really is needed and truly is valuable, be generous but not foolish, and pay back one's debts for the good of society. And be grateful to God for what one has. All this is important for faith-filled living.

Besides, money is not even real. Hahahahahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment